Monday, March 08, 2010

Issues

When Jaxon was a baby he pretty much was perfect. Slept through the night from 8 weeks old, hardly ever cried unless there was something seriously wrong, and generally was the most content little boy that a parent could ask for. I was very fortunate as a first time mom to have such a wonderful little boy, and everyone used to comment on how I was going to pay some day for having the perfect baby.
Well, I think that time has come. My perfect little baby has become a raging toddler.
We have been having a little bit of a biting issue in the past couple of weeks. It started a couple of months ago, but was contained to him biting me or his dad. In the past couple of weeks we have had a few more issues evolve with the babysitter, his auntie Cara and now the little girl at the sitters as well.
When it has been an adult we have been able to scold him for his actions, but it really has not hurt us for the wear. Know that we are getting into biting other kids it is really something that we have to start to nip in the but. I don't know which is worse, being the bitters mother, or the bitties mother. My heart breaks for this little girl that my child has harmed, and I feel so sorry that my son did that to her.
So...I have tired the time out strategy...not working. We have tried the taking of privileges away from him...not working. We have tried the punishing...not working. Someone has suggested soap in the mouth, but the little monster will take the soap and eat it for enjoyment, so what kind of punishment is that.
My final resort was Tabasco sauce. I had had a few people recommend it, and I was at my wits end this weekend and decided that was going to be the punishment if it happened. Well last Sunday morning it had to come out when he bit me. He only got a little dab of it on his lips, really did not like it, but really did not seem to bother him. Later on the in the day it took a chomp out of his auntie Cara, so the bottle came out again, only this time it went straight in the mouth, and the bottle was shook a few times. He certainly got a taste of it this time, and for a long time after it he was pulling at his tong for quite some time.
Well, I am happy to report that last week was the best week we have had at the babysitter, and there does not seem to be any signs of biting. I am knocking on wood with this comment, but hopefully this little issue is behind us!!!

No comments: