Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dum Dum De Dum....Mr. & Mrs. McLaughlin

September 15, 2007, the most wonderful day of my life. I could not have imagined it to be anything shorter then amazing, and it did wasn't. All the months on planning and preparations, and it unfolded with no hitches. For the 10 months that we were engaged, it was only a vision in my head of what it would be like, and when it all unfolded, it was even more spectacular that I had dreamt about.
My wedding day was a day that I had been planning for ever since I was a little girl. With each year that I got older, details would change here and there, but one things stayed constant....it would be a fairytale, and that is exactly what it was.
For those of you who know me, you know that I am not a lacy, white type of girly girl, and I wanted my wedding to reflect who I was. That is why the only white thing that was at my wedding was my dress. Everything was very rustic, very country.....very me.
All the girls spent the night at my parents house, and I got to sleep on the couch that I practical spent every night on in my teenage years. Since I am the type of person that has to fall asleep with the t.v. on, and I was never allowed to have a television in my room, I always seemed to fall asleep in the family room when I was a teenager, so that is where I spent most of my nights sleeping. It was like old times. I had not spent the night at my parents place since Curt and I bought our house over 2 years ago, so it was nice to spend my last night as a Strachan in their house. Surprising enough I managed to get a good nights sleep (once I got to sleep), but it was not very long, as we had to get up early to go and get our hair done.
We went Laura's shop over in Palmerston to get our hair done, and Jaycee came over there to do every one's make up. It was so relaxed, and calming. I did not have one jittery nerve (well, until I started to walk down the isle).
When I arrived home the back yard was all set up. It was even more wonderful then I had pictured it to be. We had the straw bails set up, with the wood on top of it for seating. For the 'pew markers' we had sap buckets filled with ivy and sunflowers (the ivy that I had been growing all summer), and then we had fall decorations all over the yard.I kept my composure very well all morning, not breaking down in tears at all. That is good for me, as I am usually very emotional. The point of the day that really hit me was when I was in the back bedroom getting my wedding dress on, and I could hear the soloists in the back yard practising their song. Our friend Pars, and Curt's cousin Carrrie were doing the singing, and I had wanted them to do a duet of Shania Twain's song, From This Moment On. I left it up to them, but that is what I had requested. They would not tell me what they were doing, even at the rehearsal they were still tight lipped about it, so when I herd them doing it, I had a little moment of emotion.
So all of us girls were dress, and we had the photographer there in lots of time so that we could get our pictures done before the guest started to arrive, and everything was falling into place. My parents, the girls and I sat up in the kitchen and watched all the guest as they arrived. We could see them coming, but with the sun hitting the window, they could not see us standing there.
For those of you who know me, you also know that I am not the most graceful thing, and put me in a wedding dress, that touches the floor, it was a disaster. I was standing at the kitchen table, and I seen Curt and his parents pull up, and I took off, so that I did not see him. I tripped over the front of my dress, and I did a header into the wall. Thank god I got my hands up before my head hit the wall, other wise I could have been walking down the isle with a black eye.
2:30 arrived, and so did the butterflies in my stomach. I only had a few moments of this though, because my dad started to loose his composure as we were about to walk down the isle, and I did all that I could to try to get him to stop crying. I think that distracted me enough to get rid of my butterflies, and I only dropped a couple of tears. I had to keep nudging him as we were walking down the isle, as I could hear him taking a big gasp for air. My dad is a rugged guy, but when it comes to emotion, he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he never really had shown that to us, until the weddings this year.

The only thing that I would have changed about the day, was the weather. It was a great day for the guys that had to stand in their tuxes, but for the girls who had to be in their slinky dresses, it was COLD.From the time that the ceremony began, until the time that we hit the beach in Panama, the time just flew by. Before we knew it, we were Mr. & Mrs. McLaughlin:Curt and I did our first dance as soon as we walked into the hall, that way it was done and out of the way. I must say, we got a lot of compliments on the dance. Our dancing lessons must of paid off.
The hall was absolutely gorgeous, when all the light were off, and the effect was there:And as I said, it was everything that I wanted it to be, and sooooo much more.

No comments: