Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Fun


Sunday was Strachan family Halloween fun day at mom and dads.
Cara and I had been out last weekend at a craft show in Grand Bend and stopped in at the candy store in Exeter on our way home for our annual carmel apple. While we were there we got a few great ideas for candy to give to our 'special kids' and we had to get together to put them all together and yesterday was the day. We decided to make a whole family fun day out it and throw in some pumpkin carving and some gingerbread making.
When I was a child my Aunt Vera always made the best gingerbread men for Halloween, and I always said that I wanted to learn how to make them some time. Last Tuesday night mom and I went for a visit with aunt Vera and got her recipe for them and we put them together yesterday.
The family fun day started out with our pumpkin carving. Everyone was involved....except my dad. He is a party pooper and just sat on the sidelines and watched us have all the fun. My grandmas even joined us for the afternoon. Some of us got creative....and some did not [Cara;)]. Justin was nice enough to help Jaxon out in carving his pumpkin as well.
As a child I can always remember carving our pumpkins and roasting the seeds to eat after we were done. No on really likes the seeds except my dad and I, so they did not want to go through all the trouble to pick them out...but I did. The best is after all is done, smelling them roast in the over. They were great!!!!
After we were done with the carving we got to work on our treats for our trickers and our gingerbread.
We got everything together and done and it was dark out so we were able to get our pumpkins all lite up to see what they looked like.It is really nice that my family is all in the area, and we are able to start all of these new family traditions. As a child we always did it, but it never had the same meaning as it does now. I am so lucky that we will be able to raise Jaxon doing all these fun family things with his aunts, uncles and grandparents.(Justin's pumpkin is the ghost, mom's is the 'trick or treat', mine is the big face, Cara's
is the little face, Curt's is the Habs (imagine) and Jaxon's is the little ghost)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the little pumpkin the best! Good job Jaxon!